Early review of an album that hasn’t been officially released, but then again it’s a re-release so it’s essentially already out, not to mention the 3 new songs have already been leaked.
I have to admit that back when Katy Perry released her first album, One Of The Boys, and her hit single, I Kissed A Girl, I thought she would become a one hit wonder (despite releasing a couple of other singles that did fairly well). However, when I listened to Teenage Dream almost two years ago I was pleasantly surprised at how good of an album it was. It’s a solid pop album that sticks to it’s theme throughout.
Some quick song notes:
- Teenage Dream: the ultimate everything-is-perfect-lovey-dovey song from recent years
- Circle The Drain: a rock-sounding song about someone who has allowed their life to go to waste
- The One That Got Away: self-explanatory title, which ironically, and unfortunately, was the one release that didn’t reach #1 in order to achieve the record-breaking 6 number one singles off of one album feat.
- Pearl: a female with potential for greatness, but being held back by her male lover
- Not Like The Movies: about waiting for that perfect partner, who is out there somewhere
- Hummingbird Heartbeat: innocent song about sex and feeling giddy
- Wide Awake: realizing that what was happening (in a relationship) wasn’t real or good
- Dressin’ Up: mellow naughty song
If I was reviewing Teenage Dream, the original album, I would rate it 4.5/5. However, I feel that this re-release was unnecessary and the new songs don’t really add much to the album as a whole. For that reason the complete collection losses half a star. Album rating: 4/5.
Favorite Song: E.T. (without Kanye West)
“Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
Infect me with your love and
Fill me with your poison
Take me, ta-ta-take me
Wanna be a victim
Ready for abduction
Boy, you’re an alien
Your touch so foreign
Least Favorite Song: Peacock
Other Songs I Enjoyed: Teenage Dream, Firework, The One That Got Away, Not Like The Movies, Part Of Me
This is a short collection of songs that make me feel good. Some accomplish that with the lyrics and some do it with the sound, others might do it via both. They are arranged in no particular order. Total playtime: ~36 minutes.
- First Time by Lifehouse
All about love and taking that chance with someone. I associate this song to being in the honeymoon stage and visualize it playing during a summer concert outing.
- Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars
Love song about someone being perfect just the way they are.
- I Come First by Ne-Yo
An unreleased song and I don’t know why, because I think it’s a great song. It’s about having self-worth and not allowing someone to play or devalue you.
- Billionaire by Travie McCoy
Day-dreaming about being rich and listing all the things that would be done with that money.
- XOXOXO by The Black Eyes Peas
A fun, playful love song in which the lover is on the mind, all the time.
- Everybody Loves Me by OneRepublic
I honestly don’t know what this song is saying, but it has a good feel to it.
- Do Ya Thang by Rihanna
Seems to be about a friends with benefits type of situation, allowing your partner some freedom to do their thing…
- All I Need by Natasha Bedingfield ft. Kevin Rudolf
Very positive song about not giving up, and being happy with what you have.
- Teenage Dream by Katy Perry
This is the ultimate everything-is-perfect-lovey-dovey type song from recent years.
- Feels Good by Pitbull
This is another unreleased song about letting loose and having fun. Its title is fitting to end this list.
For this Valentine’s Day, I’ve put together a list of my favorite songs that one can get it on to. There’s a mix of songs ranging from quiet to loud, slow to fast, passionate to aggressive. My musical taste is driven more towards the Pop-Rock-Top 40 stuff, so that’s what this list is mostly made up of. Total playtime (no pun intended): 1 hour.
In alphabetical order based on the artist’s name:
- Lovesong by Adele
Very slow song, addressing an eternal type of love that brings out the best of you. This isn’t officially her song, but it’s the best version of them all. One of the few romantic, passionate songs on this list.
- Night Of Your Life by David Guetta ft. Jennifer Hudson
Dance type of song with non-PG lyrics, but still doesn’t feel raunchy. Wanting long lasting love and in return getting the night of your life.
- Mouth2Mouth by Enrique Iglesias ft. Jennifer Lopez
Semi-slow and seductive. Two people spending the night together, while thinking of someone else.
- Come On Closer by Jem
Soft subtly sexy song, with some pounding and twinkling background sounds. About satisfying your partner and enjoying their reaction it in the process.
- E.T. by Katy Perry
Techno type song, with very clever lyrics. Having fallen for a not-good-for-you-extra-terrestrial-being but willing to have them take over you.
- Lay It On Me by Kelly Rowland ft. Big Sean
Fun and fast tuned. All about wanting to get it on, and get off.
- So Hott by Kid Rock
Rock n roll and to the point. All about a one night fling. Probably not a good Valentine’s Day option…
- Secret by Maroon 5
Slow and mellow type of song. Starts off with the subject being about traveling, and eventually the lyrics become innuendos.
- Crazy Love by Ne-Yo ft. Fabolous
R&B song with a borderline sleazy sound. About a dysfunctional relationship.
- Killer Love by Nicole Scherzinger
Racy and speedy type of song. A type of love that kills, but you enjoy it and can’t get enough.
- Closer by Nine Inch Nails
This song is wrong, twisted, and explicit, but it works.
- Skin by Rihanna
Provocative, vamp-ish type of song that doesn’t feel dirty. No heels, no shirt, no skirt, no jeans… just your skin.
- Make U Love Me by Robin Thicke
Your ABC song: the arrogant, bad boy, cocky type.
- End:User by Vixtrola
Slow and sensual song. About someone who takes you to another level.