At first I wasn’t a fan of this group’s popular song Animal, but it eventually grew on me… just now, about two years after its release. And though I have yet to take a full listen to their first album, Habits, I was intrigued enough to listen to this second album, Picture Show.
The big picture theme on this album is one that can be found in almost any album, and that’s a theme about love. More than half of the songs cover this topic. One smaller theme is about fantasy and desire, as found in Everybody Talks, Weekend, Close To You, and Still Young. The remaining songs have no real connection to each other in terms of topics, but of course do have musical similarities.
- Moving In The Dark: Fun and fast paced song that has a church/choir feel, yet it also reminds me a little bit of Animal at times. Presumably talking about having sex and blowing your worries away (no pun), based on the line “Set fire with just a little spark, that’s how it goes when you’re moving in the dark.”
- Teenage Sounds: A unique song about the music industry, and being unhappy with where it’s at. Has a faster pace than the opening track.
- Everybody Talks: I interpret this song being about an unattainable love that is only attained by making it up through rumors/gossip/chatter. The chorus is catchy, but not the strongest first-single option.
- Mad Love: Slower tempo song, about a couple being inseparable, indestructible, and in-love, Features a female voice for parts of it.
- Weekend: Living a fantasy love dream, even if for just a short time, or at least that’s what I gather from the repetitive “We can pretend, pretend for the weekend” line.
- Lessons In Love (All Day, All Night): This song is a collaboration with Kaskade, and there are different versions for each others’ albums. I prefer the one on this album over the one in Kaskade’s album. And it would have been a much better first single choice.
- Trust: About being honest, because it all comes back to bite you. The longest song of the bunch that starts with a nice piano melody that I wish would have made up more of the song instead of the electro sounds that follow.
- Close To You: Mellow song, about wanting, and asking to be with someone, perhaps to protect them? Not sure…
- Hooray For Hollywood: Sort of a Hollywood homage as it mentions many stars that have passed away.
- Still Young: Wanting to have someone come back and live in the moment? Again, not sure… The chorus is the best part.
- I Am The D.J.: Metaphorical song with the DJ/record representing the “me/you” relationship.
Is this album amazing enough to blow my mind away? No. But it’s good enough to have me wanting more. Album rating: 3.75/5.
Favorite Song: Lessons In Love (All Day, All Night)
“All day, all night
I got the lights in my eyes
And I’m falling for you
Keep cool, stay tough
But that’s never enough
And these are the lessons in love
All day, all night
I got the lights in my eyes
And I’m falling for you
Keep cool, stay young
I’m just having my fun
With the lessons in love”
Least Favorite Song: I Am The D.J.
Other Songs I Enjoyed: Moving In The Dark, Teenage Sounds, Trust, Close To You
I recently reached a 1500 milestone. I’ve been running for about 5 years, but have only been able to track my runs with mobile applications for about a year and a half. So really, I’ve ran at least twice as much. Nonetheless, I’ve picked 15 of my favorite songs that have helped me reach this distance. Total playtime: 55 minutes (enough for 5 miles).
5 Non-Current-Singles To Get You Going
- Fire In Your New Shoes by Kaskade ft. Dragonette
Perfect song to get it all started. Beat gets you going without thumping too hard.
- Do It In The AM by Frankmusik ft. Far East Movement
A little quieter/softer song. I personally think running is better to do it in the AM.
- Hangover by Taio Cruz ft. Flo Rida
Fun type of song, but you probably won’t be running if you are indeed suffering from a hangover…
- Where Have You Been by Rihanna
Light thumping keeps those feet going. If you want to, you could imagine you’re running to find someone.
- I’m A Machine by David Guetta ft. Crystal Nicole
Techno inspired song. You’re a machine, keep running!
5 Rock Songs To Push You Harder
- To Be Loved by Papa Roach
Fast paced song, but not yet full-blown heavy rock.
- Metalingus by Alter Bridge
Has a long intro, which I personally enjoy.
- Rollin’ by Limp Bizkit
Halfway-through-the-run song, keeps you rolling…
- Superstar by Saliva
This song has a breeze-like feeling at the beginning and a strong stretched-out ending.
- Step Up by Drowning Pool
Probably the hardest-rock song of the bunch.
5 Recent-Releases To Finish Off Strong
- Sexy And I Know It by LMFAO
This should be your inspiration song!
- International Love by Pitbull ft. Chris Brown
Fun song, which can be used to imagine running around the world.
- Turn Me On by David Guetta ft. Nicki Minaj
Another fun David Guetta dance song.
- We Run The Night by Havana Brown ft. Pitbull
A relatively new song, without much exposure. Gets me going, and is perfect for a late night run?
- Turn Up The Music by Chris Brown ft. Rihanna
The newest song of the bunch. I’m already obsessed with it.