Let me start off by saying: I know very little about football. I don’t know the rules, the terms, or the players very well.
But what I do know is this:
- Tom Brady and the Patriots have a reputation of being the top dogs, where as Eli Manning and the Giants are more of the under dogs… until now.
- Rewind to Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, and XXXIX, the Patriots won those three championships.
- Rewind to Super Bowl XLII, the Giants actually beat the Patriots, 17-14.
- This past season, despite the number of games won-lost, the Giants have gotten more praise for their game plays and defense than the Patriots.
- Rewind to week 9 of the regular season: the Giants beat the Patriots, 24-20.
- Total points in the regular season: the Patriots scored 499 and the Giants scored 380.
From what I’ve gathered, Tom Brady has a lot to prove in this game. He and his team have not made it to a Super Bowl in the last three years, and in their last appearance four years ago they actually lost to their opponents for this year. They’re still a competent team, as they only lost three games this season, although, one of the teams they lost to are the Giants. Clearly, they are not as hot as they were a few years ago, when they were undefeated. Personal side note: if I’m Tom Brady, I’ll do anything I can to redeem myself and tie the record for most Super Bowl wins by a QB.
On the other hand, Eli Manning and the Giants have made it this far but I don’t think many people expected them to do so at the beginning of the season. Eli Manning has a lot to prove as well. However, I think it’s on a lesser scale as there’s less pressure on him. Despite having a not so good record this season, they did manage to beat last year’s Super Bowl champions, the Green Bay Packers, who were one game short of being undefeated, to move on to the playoffs. Personal side note: if I’m Eli Manning, I’m probably dying to take one more step out of my brother’s shadow.
The Giants have been on a hot streak lately, but the Patriots have been consistent overall. My Prediction: the Patriots beat the Giants, 31-23.